JOSEPH WHEATCROFT – RIPLEY PRINTERS
Name: Joseph Wheatcroft
Apprenticeship programme: Level 3 Team Leader / Supervisor
Employer: Ripley Printers
Training Coordinator: Jillian Fiata
What stage are you at in your apprenticeship journey?
I am at the seventh module, slightly over the halfway point through my apprenticeship.
What made you decide to undertake an apprenticeship? How did you come to work in print?
I chose to enrol in this apprenticeship to help further and expand my skills and knowledge in my role as a supervisor and provide the best support and guidance to my team that I can.
Tell us about some of the key knowledge, skills, and behaviours you have developed since starting your apprenticeship.
Tell us about a typical day at work for you.
A typical working day for me can be quite varied due to the fact that I have a lot of roles and processes that I do. Some of these are:
- Planning out job lists for my team members.
- Actively working in production where my team require support and cover.
- Giving guidance and training to my team members on jobs or processes they are less experienced on or need a bit more support on.
- Keeping track of what stage jobs are at to ensure they are going to be ready on time and communicating with the office to keep them updated on this.
- Setting up more specialised machines in the factory such as the hot melt binder and the three knife trimmer.
- Giving focus sheets and targets to my team to help keep them progressing.
- Having both regular informal weekly meetings as well as monthly 1-2-1 meetings with my team members to make sure that they are happy and on track with their goals and targets and find out areas they may need support in.
- Filming and preparing training videos and resources to help make our training systems easier and more comprehensive.
- Making sure that we have enough supplies in stock and ordering them if needed.
- Doing some of the regular maintenance on finishing equipment and machines to make sure they are working correctly.
- Planning and working on my own personal projects to help improve the workplace
What’s the most enjoyable part of your apprenticeship?
Seeing where I can implement some of the things that I am learning and then seeing the positive impact this has once its been implemented.
What do you see yourself doing on achievement of your apprenticeship?
After completing the apprenticeship I hope to move onto one of the higher level ones, to help guide and support me as I grow into a more senior managerial role
Would you recommend apprenticeships in the print industry to others, and what would you tell them about the industry?
I would recommend an apprenticeship in print as I have found both the one I started out on as a teen as well as the one I am currently doing to be supportive in my development and help me grow and expand my skillset and abilities.
What do you think are the benefits of undertaking an apprenticeship?